What is a self-management plan?
A self-management plan is written together with your doctor or nurse, and it’s a written record of:1
- What medication you’re on
- The triggers that make your asthma worse
- What you can do to keep your asthma under control
- What to do if your symptoms get worse
- When to get help
If anything in your treatment changes, your plan will need to be updated, so make sure you take it with you to all asthma appointments.1
If you don’t have a plan but would like one, talk to your doctor or nurse at your next asthma appointment.
People who have a written self-management plan are 4 times less likely to need emergency hospital treatment for their asthma.1
Approval code: RESP-IE-NP-00094
Date of preparation: November 2020
- Live well with asthma. Asthma UK. Available at: https://www.asthma.org.uk/globalassets/health-advice/resources/adults/live-well-with-asthma-booklet.pdf Last accessed: November 2020.